Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Silent Observer

I have arrived at my current model of my consciousness from various readings. I started with instruction from the late Sathya Sai Baba - a model with four elements:
1. Senses
2. Mind
3. Intellect
4. Atma

The intellect should follow the Atma, the mind should follow the intellect, and the senses should be used by the mind. 

I think this model is very useful, and comparable to Freud's model of 
1. Ego
2. Superego
3. Id
Where the senses are not included as an aspect of consciousness. 

I strive to better understand my Atma, because this is the deepest and most mysterious part of me. I like the terminology Ellie Roozdar uses in describing a "silent observer," which I feel is roughly equivalent. At any given time, it watches, without judgement, the actions of the intellect, mind, and body. 
Through meditation - which I take to mean stopping the actions of the mind and thoughts of the intellect - I believe we can better hear the nothingness emitted by the silent observer. And by using this nothingness, this absence, to guide our actions, we can arrive at a state of non-action. 

Therefore, I use the voice of this observer, who does not speak, to not-say my non-thoughts. And I hope that they all make as much non-sense as this post does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment